Job offer: University of Birmingham is hiring a Research Fellow!
10 May 2023
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £33,348 to £43,155 with potential progression once in post to £45,737
Full Time, Fixed Term contract up to November 2025
Closing date: 19th May 2023
To create and contribute to the creation of knowledge by undertaking the specified range of activities listed below within established research programmes and specific research project.
Collaborating and Supporting Professor Eugenia Valsami-Jones’s research group in case it is needed.
Work within specified research grants and projects (ACCORDs 90%, other projects involvement 10%) and contribute to writing bids (EU – UK – International Project Proposals);
Operate within areas of specialism: nanomaterial characterisation, dissolution testing, and reactivity tests.
Analyse and interpret research findings and results
Contribute to generating funding
Contribute to licensing or spin out deals with demonstrated commercial success (such as revenues, asset or company sales, IP generated) and/or public understanding of the discipline or similar
Contribute to publications on above topics, specifically work on a high-impact review paper on nanomaterial dissolution
The responsibilities include:
Develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research, with assistance of a mentor if required
Contribute to writing bids for research funding
Analyse and interpret data
Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding
Disseminate research findings for publication, research seminars etc
Supervise students on research-related work and provide guidance to PhD students where appropriate to the discipline
Contribute to developing new models, techniques and methods
Undertake management/administration arising from research
Contribute to Departmental/School research-related activities and research-related administration
Contribute to enterprise, business development and/or public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader
Collect research data; this may be through a variety of research methods, such as scientific experimentation, literature reviews, and research interviews, analytical methods will particularly focus on ICP-MS (single particle and single cell)
Present research outputs, including drafting academic publications or parts thereof, for example at seminars and as posters
Provide guidance, as required, to support staff and any students who may be assisting with the research
Deal with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines
Promotes equality and values diversity acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
• An Undergraduate Degree and ideally a PhD (or one close to completion) in a related field.
• Practical experience of applying the relevant skills and techniques, particularly ICP-MS
• High-level analytical capability
• Ability to communicate complex information clearly
• Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
• Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
• Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
• Contribute to the planning and organising of the research programme and/or specific research project
• Co-ordinate own work with others to avoid conflict or duplication of effort
• Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.